Roland Weigelt's Emaroo 4.1.0 - Release Notes
A Note Regarding Visual Studio 2017
Unlike other applications, Visual Studio 2017 makes it really hard to find its jump list for the
most recently used (MRU) information.
The only way to find out involves starting the IDE. The first time you run Emaroo, just follow the instructions and press the button
to set up things automatically.
Note: If you re-install and/or update VS2017, you may experience that its MRU
list is either empty or no longer updated. In this case, switch to the
and click the
in the list of applications.
Version 4.1.0 (released 2018-07-05)
- Added: You can now hide files or directories using a new toggle in the context menu (
Hide in list).
To quickly show hidden list items, check the
show hidden option next to the search field.
- Fixed: A typo in the product/macro ID of Affinity Designer led to the misspelled macro
Emaroo 4.1.0 (or higher) will upgrade the configuration automatically on first start or when importing older JSON configuration files.
- Fixed: Copy/paste of custom actions not working under specific circumstances.
- Fixed: An unnecessary horizontal scrollbar appeared on the settings page if the list of applications showed a vertical scrollbar and Visual Studio 2017 was installed.
Version 4.0.1 (released 2018-06-14)
- Fixed: For custom actions with short texts and without tooltips, the compressed text was larger than the original text.
Version 4.0.0 (released 2018-06-13)
- Added: Support for Adobe InDesign CC 2018.
- Changed: The dialog for editing custom actions has undergone a major overhaul.
macros is now more consistent. Set the cursor to the desired
location and either open the new context menu of the text field or press the
- Added: The macros
can now have parameters
to get the file/folder path for a specific application (e.g.
) or its newest version (e.g.
The context menu of the input field helps you to pick the right macro.
- Added: Tooltips for custom actions.
is now a supported extension for the
run or read-feature (Strg+R).
- Added: The context menu of the custom action buttons below the MRU lists has a new
With this you can preview the custom action for the currently selected file or folder with all
- Changed: When inserting a custom action (either by pasting from the clipboard or
importing from a JSON file), the custom action is now pasted behind the currently selected item.
- Changed: When you copy a custom action to the clipboard, the text in the clipboard is no longer
JSON, but a heavily compressed string which can be inserted into websites, emails, etc. This makes publishing custom
actions much easier. Import/export of individual custom actions via
files is still supported (and will be in the future).
Read more about this on the custom actions repository on GitHub.
- Changed: When switching to the settings tab, the custom actions for the application that was previously selected are shown automatically.
- Fixed: Emaroo sometimes crashed on the Notepad++ tab. This happened because the Notepad++ configuration file
sometimes contained a second XML declaration at the end of the file - which obviously isn't valid XML. Emaroo is now able to deal with this.
- Removed: Most built-in
Open file for application X in application Y features,
because they can now be replaced with custom actions (using the
Version 3.6.2 (released 2018-03-14)
- Fixed: Empty MRU lists for the x86 versions of Word/Excel/PowerPoint 2016 Professional Plus.
Version 3.6.1 (released 2018-03-13)
- Fixed: The tabs for some variants of Word/Excel/PowerPoint 2016 and/or their MRU lists were not displayed.
Version 3.6.0 (released 2018-02-27)
- Added: Run
files / read
files that are located in the directory of a most recently used item, either by pressing Ctrl+R or via the context menu.
- Fixed: Crash on startup on some computers that had UAC disabled.
Version 3.5.0 (released 2018-01-31)
- Added: Support for Affinity Designer. If Adobe Illustrator is installed, files in the Illustrator MRU list can be opened in Affinity Designer via the context menu.
- Added: Support for Affinity Photo. If Adobe Photoshop is installed, files in the Photoshop MRU list can be opened in Affinity Photo via the context menu.
- Removed: Support for Windows Explorer. Too little use, too much effort to get an MRU list - which in the end never contained all expected entries.
Version 3.4.0 (released 2017-10-26)
- Added: Support for Photoshop/Illustrator CC 2018.
- Added: Command for refreshing the icons of MRU files and executables,
e.g. the icon of Visual Studio Code which was changed for version 1.17 (and
will be changed again in the future).
- Fixed: Crash that could occur if a Photoshop or Illustrator file in the MRU list was located on a SharePoint file share.
Version 3.3.0 (released 2017-09-30)
- Added: Support for the 64bit version of Visual Studio Code.
- Changed: Files and directories are now handled equally when it
comes to copying to the clipboard: Ctrl+C copies the item (i.e. the file or directory)
and Ctrl+Shift+C copies its parent directory.
- Fixed: Various problems with Visual Studio Code not working correctly
(caused by some behind-the-scenes changes in its configuration storage).
- Fixed: Wrong icon used for folders if the first folder
accessed by Emaroo after setup is a folder with a special icon (e.g. the
- Fixed: Collision between setting the
always open as administrator marker
and turning off UAC afterwards - the Visual Studio solution could not be opened then.
Version 3.2.0 (released 2017-07-24)
- Added: New context menu directly on custom actions (Edit/Copy/Export). You can now
open the Edit dialog without switching tabs, which speads up the edit/test roundtrip.
- Added: Custom actions can now run executables/open files in the directory of a most-recently-used item.
macro now also works in the
Executable input field.
- Added: The icon of a custom action now indicates whether it requires
- Added: Emaroo now handles some use situations involving quote characters in custom actions automatically:
- If the arguments of a custom action consists of only the
macro, quotes are added automatically when closing the dialog with
- Quotes around executable paths are removed automatically, which is useful
if you copied the path in the Windows Explorer via the
Copy as Path context menu entry. In earlier versions the quotes would prevent the custom action from working at all.
- Fixed: When opening a Visual Studio solution in a higher version of Visual Studio,
always open as administrator setting (via a
marker file) wasn't honored.
- Removed: Support for IrfanView - it didn't work correctly in all scenarios.
I have a basic idea how to fix the problem, so support will come back as soon as I find the time for research, implementation and testing.
Version 3.1.0 (released 2017-06-05)
- Changed: Major overhaul of import dialog UI, greatly reducing complexity when importing into configurations that have many custom actions and/or installed applications.
- Changed: UI tweaks to export dialog.
- Added: Check for new version on help page (only on-demand, not performed automatically).
- Changed: The number of custom actions is no longer limited to 10, even though only the first 10 actions can be executed via hotkey.
Removing the limit is intended to support scenarios where a larger number of custom actions exists temporarily (e.g. when trying out custom actions).
- Fixed: Copy/paste of custom actions didn't always change the ID when it was necessary.
- Fixed: Various corner cases in import/export.
Version 3.0.1 (released 2017-06-02)
- Fixed: Possible crash in import/export dialogs.
Version 3.0.0 (released 2017-05-31)
This version took waaaaaay longer than planned...
Added: User-defined custom actions that can be
defined per-application, called via the hotkeys
Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, ... Ctrl+9, Ctrl+0.
- Added: Export/Import configuration settings.
- Added: Support for Visual Studio 2017.
- Added: Support for Word, Excel, PowerPoint 2016.
- Added: Support for Photoshop CC.
- Added: Support for Illustrator CC.
Changed: When starting an executable, the working
directory will now be set explicitly. Usually this shouldn't have a
noticeable effect, but avoids situations where (error) messages that
contain file or directory paths may show the name
Emaroo (which may
confuse some users).
- Changed: The setup package is now signed (no longer
unknown publisher warnings).
Fixed: Wrong order of MRU items for Visual Studio
2015 and Blend for Visual Studio 2015.
- Info: Emaroo is now using jump lists for Visual Studio and Office (using Eric Zimmerman's
JumpList library), thus honoring pinned items. Other
applications/tools haven't been transitioned yet.
Version 2.5.0 (released 2015-05-25)
Added: Support for Visual Studio Code (most recently
used files and directories).
Added: For IrfanView, now both most recently used
files and directories are shown.
Added: Individual applications can be hidden on the
new configuration tab.
- Fixed: Error message when cancelling a UAC prompt
Fixed: Crash at startup on some first-time
Version 2.2.1 (released 2015-01-30)
Fixed: Directories couldn't be opened via Enter or
double-click because of bug introduced in 2.1.0.
Version 2.2.0 (released 2015-01-30)
Added: Files can be dragged outside the application
window (e.g. to copy them to a folder or open them in another
application). This will not affect the most recently used list.
Fixed: Context menu not updating items to match the
always open as administrator option when using the menu key on the
Fixed: Bitmap cache files of old versions not being
Version 2.1.0 (released 2014-12-23)
- Added: Support for Visual Studio 2015
Added: Option in the context menu for Visual Studio
solutions to always open a solution as administrator. Setting the
checkbox adds a small file in the directory where the solution is
located; if the solution is named e.g.
marker file will be named
Fixed: If tabs shared the same accelator keys (e.g.
Alt+I for Illustrator and IrfanView), only the first tab could be
selected. Now pressing the accelerator key repeatedly will cycle through
Changed (related to fix above): Emaroo no longer
tries to provide unique accelerator keys on systems with multiple
versions of a program (e.g. Visual Studio, Blend or Photoshop) because
it resulted in increasingly non-intuitive accelerator keys. Now all
versions share the same accelerator key.
Version 2.0.0 (released 2014-11-27)
Added: Support for Illustrator CS6/CC/CC 2014 (most
recently used files).
Added: Use Ctrl+T to open the selected file in a text
editor (where it makes sense). If Notepad++ is installed, Emaroo will use it. Otherwise files will be
opened in regular Notepad.
Copy now copies the selected file/directory
both as text (i.e. the full path) and as the actual file
system object to the clipboard.
- Added: More directory locations in IrfanView.
- Fixed: Some UI glitches in high DPI settings.
Fixed: Text of entry in context menu for Blend
- Changed: Emaroo now requires .NET Framework 4.5.1.
Version 1.6.0 (released 2014-07-20)
Added: Support for Photoshop CC 2014 (most recently
Fixed: Order of most recently used files in
Version 1.5.0 (released 2013-12-27)
Added: Support for Photoshop CC (most recently used
Added: Support for Notepad++ (most recently used
Version 1.4.0 (released 2013-10-22)
Added: Support for Visual Studio 2013 (most recently
Added: Support for Blend for Visual Studio 2013 (most
recently used solutions/projects).
- Changed: Removed rounded corners ;-)
Version 1.3.0 (no public release)
Added: Support for Visual Studio 2012 (most recently
Added: Support for Blend 5 (most recently used
Added: Support for Office 2013 (most recently used
documents of Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Added: Support for Photoshop CS6 (most recently
Added: Support for IrfanView (most recently used
Added: The Emaroo window can now be dragged by
pressing and holding the left mouse button on an unused area of the
Changed: In order to have space for more
applications, now only the active tab shows the application name. The
other tabs show only the application icons (the application names are
available through tooltips).
Version 1.2.1 (released 2011-10-01)
Version 1.2.1 has been finished for a couple of months, but somehow never
made it to an official release due to lack of time - sorry!
Fixed: Right-clicking an item did not select it before opening
the context menu.
- Fixed: Possible issues in certain corner cases.
Version 1.2 (released 2010-11-07)
Added: MRU lists can now be filtered by typing a search term,
the search results are shown in alphabetical order. The current version
supports leading and trailing wildcards, i.e.
text* : starts with text
*text : ends with text
*text* : contains text
(without the quotes) will
sort an MRU list without filtering.
Added: A (global) list of directories that should be
excluded from all lists can now be defined (open the file
in the Emaroo installation directory for more information).
Fixed: On the Explorer tab,
entries were sometimes shown as being unavailable even if the server was
Version 1.1 (released 2010-10-23)
Added: Tab page for Windows Explorer, showing
directories that were recently entered into the address bar.
Added: Accelerator keys for selecting tab pages by
Fixed: Overlay icons of shell extensions not appearing in new
Windows Explorer instances on some 64bit Systems.
Changed: Ctrl+<digit> does no longer
switch to a specific tab page. Use the accelerator key for the tab page
(Alt+<key>) instead. The Ctrl+<digit>
hotkeys will be used in a different way in future versions.
Version 1.0 (released 2010-10-03)