Roland Weigelt's Emaroo 3.3.0 - Release Notes
A Note Regarding Visual Studio 2017
I haven't been able to find a way to determine where exactly
Visual Studio 2017 stores its
most recently used (MRU) information
without actually starting the IDE**.
Good news: Emaroo will set things up for you automatically, you only have to press
a button the first time when you start Emaroo (you wouldn't want Emaroo to do this without asking you first, right?)
Note: If you re-install and/or update VS2017, you may experience that its MRU
list is either empty or no longer updated. In this case, switch to the
and click the
in the list of applications.
**) If you know how to determine the (rather elusive) ID used in the jump list's filename
just by looking at an existing installation of VS2017, please contact me.
Version 3.3.0 (released 2017-09-30)
- Added: Support for the 64bit version of Visual Studio Code.
- Changed: Files and directories are now handled equally when it
comes to copying to the clipboard: Ctrl+C copies the item (i.e. the file or directory)
and Ctrl+Shift+C copies its parent directory.
- Fixed: Various problems with Visual Studio Code not working correctly
(caused by some behind-the-scenes changes in its configuration storage).
- Fixed: Wrong icon used for folders if the first folder
accessed by Emaroo after setup is a folder with a special icon (e.g. the
- Fixed: Collision between setting the
always open as administrator marker
and turning off UAC afterwards - the Visual Studio solution could not be opened then.
Version 3.2.0 (released 2017-07-24)
- Added: New context menu directly on custom actions (Edit/Copy/Export). You can now
open the Edit dialog without switching tabs, which speads up the edit/test roundtrip.
- Added: Custom actions can now run executables/open files in the directory of a most-recently-used item.
macro now also works in the
Executable input field.
- Added: The icon of a custom action now indicates whether it requires
- Added: Emaroo now handles some use situations involving quote characters in custom actions automatically:
- If the arguments of a custom action consists of only the
macro, quotes are added automatically when closing the dialog with
- Quotes around executable paths are removed automatically, which is useful
if you copied the path in the Windows Explorer via the
Copy as Path context menu entry. In earlier versions the quotes would prevent the custom action from working at all.
- Fixed: When opening a Visual Studio solution in a higher version of Visual Studio,
always open as administrator setting (via a
marker file) wasn't honored.
- Removed: Support for IrfanView - it didn't work correctly in all scenarios.
I have a basic idea how to fix the problem, so support will come back as soon as I find the time for research, implementation and testing.
Version 3.1.0 (released 2017-06-05)
- Changed: Major overhaul of import dialog UI, greatly reducing complexity when importing into configurations that have many custom actions and/or installed applications.
- Changed: UI tweaks to export dialog.
- Added: Check for new version on help page (only on-demand, not performed automatically).
- Changed: The number of custom actions is no longer limited to 10, even though only the first 10 actions can be executed via hotkey.
Removing the limit is intended to support scenarios where a larger number of custom actions exists temporarily (e.g. when trying out custom actions).
- Fixed: Copy/paste of custom actions didn't always change the ID when it was necessary.
- Fixed: Various corner cases in import/export.
Version 3.0.1 (released 2017-06-02)
- Fixed: Possible crash in import/export dialogs.
Version 3.0.0 (released 2017-05-31)
This version took waaaaaay longer than planned...
Added: User-defined custom actions that can be
defined per-application, called via the hotkeys
Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, ... Ctrl+9, Ctrl+0.
- Added: Export/Import configuration settings.
- Added: Support for Visual Studio 2017.
- Added: Support for Word, Excel, PowerPoint 2016.
- Added: Support for Photoshop CC.
- Added: Support for Illustrator CC.
Changed: When starting an executable, the working
directory will now be set explicitly. Usually this shouldn't have a
noticeable effect, but avoids situations where (error) messages that
contain file or directory paths may show the name
Emaroo (which may
confuse some users).
- Changed: The setup package is now signed (no longer "unknown publisher" warnings).
Fixed: Wrong order of MRU items for Visual Studio
2015 and Blend for Visual Studio 2015.
- Info: Emaroo is now using jump lists for Visual Studio and Office (using Eric Zimmerman's
JumpList library), thus honoring pinned items. Other
applications/tools haven't been transitioned yet.
Version 2.5.0 (released 2015-05-25)
Added: Support for Visual Studio Code (most recently
used files and directories).
Added: For IrfanView, now both most recently used
files and directories are shown.
Added: Individual applications can be hidden on the
new configuration tab.
- Fixed: Error message when cancelling a UAC prompt
Fixed: Crash at startup on some first-time
Version 2.2.1 (released 2015-01-30)
Fixed: Directories couldn't be opened via Enter or
double-click because of bug introduced in 2.1.0.
Version 2.2.0 (released 2015-01-30)
Added: Files can be dragged outside the application
window (e.g. to copy them to a folder or open them in another
application). This will not affect the most recently used list.
Fixed: Context menu not updating items to match the
always open as administrator option when using the menu key on the
Fixed: Bitmap cache files of old versions not being
Version 2.1.0 (released 2014-12-23)
- Added: Support for Visual Studio 2015
Added: Option in the context menu for Visual Studio
solutions to always open a solution as administrator. Setting the
checkbox adds a small file in the directory where the solution is
located; if the solution is named e.g.
marker file will be named
Fixed: If tabs shared the same accelator keys (e.g.
Alt+I for Illustrator and IrfanView), only the first tab could be
selected. Now pressing the accelerator key repeatedly will cycle through
Changed (related to fix above): Emaroo no longer
tries to provide unique accelerator keys on systems with multiple
versions of a program (e.g. Visual Studio, Blend or Photoshop) because
it resulted in increasingly non-intuitive accelerator keys. Now all
versions share the same accelerator key.
Version 2.0.0 (released 2014-11-27)
Added: Support for Illustrator CS6/CC/CC 2014 (most
recently used files).
Added: Use Ctrl+T to open the selected file in a text
editor (where it makes sense). If Notepad++ is installed, Emaroo will
use that program. Otherwise regular Notepad will be used.
Copy now copies the selected file/directory
both as text (i.e. the full path) and as the actual file
system object to the clipboard.
- Added: More directory locations in IrfanView.
- Fixed: Some UI glitches in high DPI settings.
Fixed: Text of entry in context menu for Blend
- Changed: Emaroo now requires .NET Framework 4.5.1.
Version 1.6.0 (released 2014-07-20)
Added: Support for Photoshop CC 2014 (most recently
Fixed: Order of most recently used files in
Version 1.5.0 (released 2013-12-27)
Added: Support for Photoshop CC (most recently used
Added: Support for Notepad++ (most recently used
Version 1.4.0 (released 2013-10-22)
Added: Support for Visual Studio 2013 (most recently
Added: Support for Blend for Visual Studio 2013 (most
recently used solutions/projects).
- Changed: Removed rounded corners ;-)
Version 1.3.0 (no public release)
Added: Support for Visual Studio 2012 (most recently
Added: Support for Blend 5 (most recently used
Added: Support for Office 2013 (most recently used
documents of Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Added: Support for Photoshop CS6 (most recently
Added: Support for IrfanView (most recently used
Added: The Emaroo window can now be dragged by
pressing and holding the left mouse button on an unused area of the
Changed: In order to have space for more
applications, now only the active tab shows the application name. The
other tabs show only the application icons (the application names are
available through tooltips).
Version 1.2.1 (released 2011-10-01)
Version 1.2.1 has been finished for a couple of months, but somehow never
made it to an official release due to lack of time - sorry!
Fixed: Right-clicking an item did not select it before opening
the context menu.
- Fixed: Possible issues in certain corner cases.
Version 1.2 (released 2010-11-07)
Added: MRU lists can now be filtered by typing a search term,
the search results are shown in alphabetical order. The current version
supports leading and trailing wildcards, i.e.
starts with text
ends with text
text (equivalent to
(without the quotes) will
sort an MRU list without filtering.
Added: A (global) list of directories that should be
excluded from all lists can now be defined (open the file
in the Emaroo installation directory for more information).
Fixed: On the Explorer tab,
entries were sometimes shown as being unavailable even if the server was
Version 1.1 (released 2010-10-23)
Added: Tab page for Windows Explorer, showing
directories that were recently entered into the address bar.
Added: Accelerator keys for selecting tab pages by
Fixed: Overlay icons of shell extensions not appearing in new
Windows Explorer instances on some 64bit Systems.
Changed: Ctrl+<digit> does no longer
switch to a specific tab page. Use the accelerator key for the tab page
(Alt+<key>) instead. The Ctrl+<digit>
hotkeys will be used in a different way in future versions.
Version 1.0 (released 2010-10-03)